Welcome ~ please feel free to explore, there's lots to discover and I hope you'll come back often.

Saturday

Project: More 1:6 Scale Furniture (Part 4)

After spending two whole days trying to perfect a diamond button back for my new sofa and making my hands sore, almost to the point of making them bleed, from pulling the thread through the buttons as tight as I could manage, I finally gave up on the idea.

Normally, I would try and try again until I succeeded in what I set out to do, but this time no matter what I tried, I just couldn't get the back to look the way I wanted. It was only my determination to finish this sofa so I could move on to the coffee table, which actually stopped me from throwing the darn thing across the room in sheer frustration.


So once again the plain back appears on my new sofa, I must admit now I have calmed down, I think it looks quite nifty.

The coffee table, although a little smaller than I would have liked, turned out really well. I managed to give the top a pale pink marble finish this time, surprisingly the technique was a lot easier than I thought it would be.


The ornate "carving" on the front of the sofa was achieved by gluing on stamped brass jewellery findings.

I also made a couple of square cushions from an inexpensive cotton lawn stuffed with poly-fill, then some pretty pink loose covers from quilting fabric. I prefer to have loose covers when possible, as it makes it easier to change the look of a room simply by changing the covers. The third oblong pillow has a permanent cover though and will eventually have a tassel at each end to finish it off (I just need to find some small enough).

The diorama features:
Superfresco foam wallpaper for the dado wall - Bunnings
Stik-a-Tex cotton adhesive fabric available on the floor and the right wall - Spotlight
Metallic scrapbook paper on the left wall - Spotlight
Picture frame and pot plant - Spotlight
Faux suede from my stash used as the carpet
Furniture painted and upholstered by me - Fairy Meadow Miniatures

No comments:

Post a Comment